Sunday, March 14, 2010

Corned Beef with Cabbage


Epicurious/February 2008
 by Darina Allen Irish Traditional Cooking

4 lb corned brisket of beef
3 large carrots, cut into large chunks
6 to 8 small onions
1 teaspoon dry English mustard
large sprig fresh thyme and some parsley stalks, tied together
1 head cabbage
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put the brisket into a saucepan with the carrots, onions, mustard and the herbs. Cover with cold water* and bring gently to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Discard the outer leaves of the cabbage, cut into quarters and add to the pot. Cook for an additional 1 to 2 hours or until the meat and veggies are soft and tender.

Serve the corned beef in slices surrounded by the vegetables and cooking liquid. Serve with lots of floury potatoes and freshly made mustard. 

* I added two bottles of Guinness to the cold water.

Notes: I also braised the cabbage (with carrots and onions) in the oven.
I served it with mustard, but did not make my own.
I do not know what floury potatoes are so I just served boiled.
I made some awesome Irish soda bread to serve with it.
The cabbage, potatoes, and bread were delicious...the hubs said the corned beef nearly brought him to his knees, mission accomplished!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment